Tuesday, October 9, 2007

Accepted challenge.


This is my first post and my first blog, so please bear with me.

I am in my mid 40's male who has been overweight all his life. I have been diagnosed with pre-diabetes August 6 2007 and I was scared to death.
I am married with 2 children and I want to see my grandchildren one day, so that day, after panicking I decided to take my life into my own hands.

I got a prescription for type II diabetes (metformin) to control my blood sugar levels. When I just got my prescription I went to Internet to research about pre diabetes and metformin. I learned a lot and found some promising news "Pre diabetes and Type II diabetes can be reversed."

So I have to make a deal with myself and start my own challenge and beat this problem. My initial weight was 301 pounds.

I have to avoid some foods (diet) and change my lifestyle into a more active one. I started using a elliptical machine running for 30 minutes 2 days a week and using a spinning indoor bike at home twice a week. That was the third week of August 8-13-2007 when I started.
It was really hard to make the commitment, but I had a good motivation my family.
After one week I have increased my cardio from 30 minutes into one hour. I almost passed out when I finished the first time. After that week 8-22-07 I could see some changes, it was easy to go and start working out.

My problem was that I was working out without any goal or method, I was just running using the elliptical and spinning bike. I decided to join a gym (LA fitness).

I went to 24 hour fitness and LA fitness but LA fitness really impressed me a lot. They have a real clean facilities and with many amenities, it was a no brainer. My first day was 9/14/07 at the gym. I kept running for one hour every day, until one of the managers suggested weight lifting. I did some weight lifting a few years back and I remember that I really liked it so I was going to give it a try the next week.

I travel for living so I am out of town for 4 days and 3 days back so I worked 3 days at Hotel and 3 days at the gym. I noticed some changes in my body already. My legs have started getting firm, it is hard to appreciate because the muscle is under many layers of fat at this point.

I researched using Internet about the fastest way to loose fat and found the regular cadence cardio is not the best. I found something called HIIT.

High-intensity interval training (HIIT)

A HIIT session involves a warmup period, several short, maximum-intensity efforts separated by moderate recovery intervals, and a cooldown period. The period of alternating effort and recovery intervals typically lasts a total of 15 minutes.
I re-read the book Body for Life by Bill Phillips and he was talking about hiit on his book. so back to Internet and found the best hiit training was the Tabata Protocol--named after Izumi Tabata, Ph.D.

This cardio training is not for the faint-of-heart, it is very demanding. The training is like this:
I warm out for 5 minutes then I sprint during 4 minutes (20 secs of sprinting, 10 seconds resting) and then I cool down for 5 minutes.

I am following body for life workout sessions with a small difference that I have Hiit sessions every day (5-6 times a week).

This is my second week using BfL (Body for Life) and my weight is 278 pounds so I can see a progress (10-9-2007).

I will keep posting so people can see the difference.

No comments: